Madison Circus Space prides itself on being an inclusive environment where all individuals are welcomed. In the event of conflict at Madison Circus Space, we aspire to find a resolution which allows all parties involved to continue participating in the circus community while ensuring the emotional and physical safety of all parties concerned.
At MCS, there is a zero-tolerance policy toward abusive behavior, which encompasses any action that endangers the physical or emotional well-being of our community. This includes but is not limited to the following: bullying, verbal or physical violence, manipulation, sexual harassment or assault, hate speech, or discrimination. It also includes cyber/social media bullying. The scope of this procedure is for conflicts that happen at MCS’s physical location, locations where MCS is officially present, or official MCS online channels such social media or email.
The MCS Board will generally follow the process outlined below, but reserves the authority to take immediate action if the seriousness of the issue warrants it.
Should a conflict arise:
- Share your concern with firstname.lastname@example.org via email or schedule a time to talk in person. You also may contact an individual member of the board.
- Madison Circus Space may utilize the services of a human resources specialist to help resolve the conflict, especially in situations where outside objectivity is necessary or helpful.
- All parties will be asked to present their perspectives. As needed, meetings may be organized with the involved parties. Meetings may take place in person or over video. Meetings will always be organized first separately with each party and may be organized together as needed, and only if all parties agree to meet together.
- If a meeting takes place, it will be requested that everyone consent to abide by established ground rules:
- Seek to identify the underlying cause of the conflict by concentrating on specific behaviors and events, rather than personal attributes.
- We encourage the use of “I” statements to express viewpoints to illustrate how the situation has personally affected you.
- To commit to speaking truthfully, even if it may be challenging.
- To actively and attentively listen without interruption.
- All parties will be given a fair opportunity to respond.
- The points of agreement and disagreement will be identified and the areas of conflict will be established.
- A mutually agreed upon plan of action will be created and implemented to address each conflict.
- MCS will identify the aspects of conflict that can be resolved through the establishment of better policies in the future.